DOUBLE YUCK!
Bad pics, and bad kitty boo-boo!! I got a little obsessed with capturing black after yesterday's success, and ran out of time to do anything else, so this is it! I know the blacks are clipped, and the highlights are blown, but at least I have a pic of my babies boo-boo to scrap book :)I'm off to be a mum!
.jpg)
I don't know if you saw my wreath post on my blog, but what you said on ILP pretty much happened to me there. It took me a while to aim my flash in such a way and with a such a power setting that it wasn't blowing and clipping all over the place. Do you have any useful access to the flash compensation settings of your speedlite from your camera? When shooting indoors, it sometimes requires some (lengthy) experimentation to find out what settings and flash angles work for you. I almost never used head on straight flash. Just for hahas, try this photo again, but bounce your flash straight up to the ceiling and either set your camera to -0.3EV or +0.3EV flash compensation and shoot. If it looks better, but underexposed, add more flash, but make sure to bounce it off the ceiling only. If it's overexposed, reduce the flash output a little. Oh and maybe pull away from your subject a little to make use of as much indirect light as possible :) Let me know what you find!
ReplyDeleteThis is actually with flash bounced off the ceiling, AND I cropped it tight from a MUCH bigger picture that had both my black cats in it...I'll be trying again, and I'll work on the settings for my flash, which is brand new to me! I'll keep ya posted :)
ReplyDeleteI didn't know that, I'm sorry for making false assumptions here lol. That particular light always happens when I get too close with my camera, so that's what I assumed happened here.. Try backing off the flash compensation a bit and opening up your aperture :) With flash, aperture and ISO control the exposure, together with the flash exposure compensation. Shutter speed only has influence on how much ambient light you let in to your photo, and has no effect on your flash exposure. It does allow you to nicely blend flash light and room (or sun) light so your flash doesn't influence the look of the photo as much. It really depends on what kind of light you're going for :)
ReplyDeleteI have so much to learn...I can't wait to begin at the beginning wuth The Understanding Exposure Study Group. It baffles me how well I was doing and how much I have forgotten...I hope it's like riding a bike ;)
ReplyDeleteHey, that's awesome! I'll be seeing you there then, I've been -uhm- selected to help CC in that study group :)
ReplyDeleteThis is GREAT news! I was afraid they were going to close the thread before I got started...I AM SO EXCITED NOW!!! Thank you, thank you, thank you for donating your time to those of us with passion but little skill ;)I plan to start mid-February after our family vacation - YIPEE! Thanks again...
ReplyDelete