Sunday, January 10, 2010

10/365

Sun #1

OK - I'm going to need A LOT of help this week! I have no idea how to intentionally get sun flare in my images, and have found very little guidance on the internet. I captured this one today, in my back yard, by simply shooting toward the sun. I didn't know where to start, so I used full auto. It's obviously too dark, and I'm not sure how to avoid the pink/white/tuquoise orbs. PLEASE CC, I need advice before I attempt to put an actual subject in the shot...


1/500, 18

9 comments:

  1. Hm I don't really know how to do it either - I'll be interested to see what you get this week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's actually a pretty good flare! Try putting the sun just at the edge of the frame and expose for everything else in the frame, or hide the sun between some branches in a tree so it just shines through. You're basically trying to do on purpose what all photographers try to avoid at all cost. Most expensive lenses are even coated and outfit with lens hoods just to eliminate the reflections that cause flare. If your lens has a hood, remove it to expose your glass more to light coming in from the side.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the tips - we'll see how it goes tomorrow! BTW - that is why I said "intentionally" - I have thrown out lots of shots due to getting the flare when I didn't want it...never fails :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not the greatest at sun flare, but I know you want to use a small aperture (large #) to get the nice rays. The orbs are part of the sun flare, so not always a bad thing... if they're not in a bad place on the photo.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, it also helps to get the sun just peeking out of somewhere -- like if you had gotten a little closer to the houses so part of it was covered -- or if you shoot it through trees.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you...keeping my fingers crossed!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Keri,
    I got some nice sun flares when I went to Charleston a few years ago. I went out just before sun set and got the sun as it came up. One of the pictures had a palm tree in the background that came out just as a silhouette. The other had a fountain in the foreground and the sun peeking through a corner of the fountain (as mentioned above by Regan). A lot of mine was also trial and error. I'll post these to face book.

    S Kirkman

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks, Suzanne! They're beautiful!!! I also have some vacation ones that I love, but they were just lucky shots. The hard part is being outside when the sun is at the right height to get your subject in...I promise to get some good ones by Saturday!

    ReplyDelete